Type: Vertical Lift, Bascule, Swing
Owner: Washington State Department of Transportation
Stafford Bandlow Engineering personnel have provided mechanical and electrical engineering services for three consecutive cycles of this state wide on-call contract. Services have been provided for more than thirty separate task assignments. Task assignments have included:
- In-depth mechanical and electrical inspection of five vertical lift bridges, four bascule bridges and two swing bridges including recommendations and cost estimates for repairs.
- Blue ribbon inspection of two floating draw bridges.
- Detailed investigation into speed reducer failures at the Evergreen Point floating draw bridge which successfully identified the root cause of the failures.
- Rehabilitation design of the mechanical and electrical systems for two vertical lift bridges and one swing bridge.
- Construction engineering and inspection (CEI) services for the rehabilitation of two bascule bridges and one swing bridge:
- Reviewed shop drawings and procedures for conformance to Contract requirements.
- Performed shop inspections as part of quality assurance for new and rehabilitated mechanical, electrical and structural components.
- Provided field inspection including 24/7 coverage throughout critical bridge closures to ensure close coordination of all field and shop issues to avoid delays.
- Performed on-site inspections of the ongoing electrical installation work including verifying the completeness and code compliance of the electrical installation.
- Witnessed and performed start up and acceptance testing of the completed installations.
- Reviewed and edited Contractor furnished O&M manuals in accordance with the installed systems and in conformance with client requirements.
- Strain gage balance testing and load testing.